Because I don't want to receive any death threats by being critical of Liverpool (see some madness here), I'm going to just wonder aloud about something, but first, a quote:
“Look at what’s happened under Rick [Parry]. It has been a disaster, we have fallen so far behind the other leading clubs. We should have the stadium built by now. We have a few major sponsors when we should have 15. We have still got the top brand in the world of football but that’s no good if you don’t know how to commercialise it. Rick needs to resign from Liverpool FC… If George doesn’t sell - because I am not going to sell - I guess we stay in this position that we are in. It’s complicated but [me buying Gillett out] is going to happen although I can’t force George to accept. I am planning to make him a very attractive offer. If I had a majority on [the ownership of Liverpool] I could put more capital in…” – Tom Hicks.
The following are things I believe:
- Hicks is right - Parry didn't do a good job (approx £100m in debt and far less revenue than other big clubs) and he also paved the way for Hicks and Gillett to come in, believing they were 'white knights'
- Hicks will not buy Gillett out, they will probably sell to DIC, but that will take months, if not years. And it will be tedious.
- David Moores is also culpable for Liverpool's general financial underachievement
- Parry is responsible for the Houllier/Roy Evans mini-era, and then the Houllier solo era, with, ahem, able backup from the Eagle, Phil Thompson
- The stadium costs are rising because of the cost of steel - why don't they give wood a chance?
p.s. we're podding tonight, and we will keep it under 50 mins! But there are no guarantees until the end of the season as the fixtures and news are coming thick and heavy....